Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

Melodies Unveiled. With King Flava SA

 Welcome to Another Edition of Melodies Unveiled. With King Flava SA.


 

Welcome back to East Side Insider, where we continue to shine a light on the artists, creatives and storytellers who are making their mark in our music scene. 🎶

For this edition of Melodies Unveiled, we turn our attention to KingFlava SA, an East London-based DJ, producer and remixer whose musical journey is built around emotion, atmosphere and sound.

His sound moves across different shades of electronic music, incorporating elements of Nu Disco, Indie House, melodic house, downtempo and atmospheric textures, while maintaining a strong emotional core.

In this conversation, we get to know the man behind the music: his beginnings, his creative process, the story behind LULU, his connection to East London, the lessons he's learned along the way, and what the future holds for KingFlava SA.

So, without further ado, welcome to another edition of Melodies Unveiled. 

For those discovering you for the first time through East Side Insider, who is KingFlava SA, and how would you introduce yourself as an artist?

Awe, so KingFlava SA is an artist, producer, and DJ from East London, Mdantsane, driven by a deep passion for authentic African sounds and electronic music. My sound is rooted in Afro Tech, Deep House, Deep-Tech, and Melodic Techno, with a strong focus on soulful melodies, powerful grooves, and storytelling through sound.

For me, music is more than just entertainment; it’s a way of expressing emotions, experiences, and the journey I’ve been through. I’m constantly pushing myself creatively, experimenting with different sounds, and building a sound that represents who I am. I’m KingFlava SA, an independent artist, a student of the culture, and someone who believes the journey is just as important as the destination...

You describe yourself as a DJ, producer, and remixer. How did your journey into music begin, and which of those roles feels most natural to you?


My journey in music started back in 2008 when I was still in high school. We used to collect Soul Candi compilations alongside Yhongamela Jack, also known as Black Jack, Sivuyile Lamani and Skizo. That’s where our love for music really started growing.

We were also inspired by the legendary DJ Dede from Mdantsane, who was doing incredible things at the time and showed us what was possible. When it came to production, I drew a lot of inspiration from artists like Da Capo, Black Coffee, Culoe De Song and Euphoric.

Black Jack was actually the person who introduced me to FL Studio. At the time, Black Jack and DJ Keep were already producing, and they showed me the basics. Later, I met LuXman, and we spent about a year working together, mainly producing Gqom.

After that, I felt the need to explore something different, so I started experimenting with Deep House and Afro Tribe. I was heavily inspired by Black Motion, Black Coffee and Da Capo, and that’s where I began developing the sound and identity I have today.

Out of DJing, production and remixing, production probably feels the most natural to me because it allows me to create from scratch, tell my story and translate my emotions into sound. But I believe all three roles are connected; they’ve each played a major part in shaping me as KingFlava SA.


Your music moves through different electronic sounds, from melodic and Indie House to Nu Disco and more atmospheric sounds. How would you personally describe your sound?

Uhm,  bro, I would describe my sound as a fusion of emotion, groove, and electronic textures. I move between Melodic House, Indie House, Nu Disco, Afro Tech, Deep House, and more atmospheric sounds, but I always try to keep a strong emotional identity in my music. For me, it’s not about being limited to one genre; it’s about creating a journey that can make you feel something, whether it’s through deep grooves, soulful melodies, progressive elements, or powerful electronic sounds. My sound is constantly evolving, but the emotion and groove will always remain at the centre.

What inspires you when you're creating music? Is it usually a feeling, a melody, a story, or something happening around you that starts the creative process?

For me, bro, it can start with anything: a feeling, a melody, a sound, or even something happening in my life. Sometimes I’ll be going through a certain emotion, and it naturally translates into music. Other times, I’ll hear a melody or a particular sound that sparks an idea, and I just build around it. My experiences, the people around me, and the things I’ve been through also play a big role. I think music is my way of expressing emotions that are sometimes difficult to put into words. 

Your project LULU is deeply personal and was created in memory of your late mother. What does the name “LULU” mean to you, and when did you decide to turn those memories into music?



LULU is more than just an album title to me; it’s a name that carries a lot of love, memories, and emotion. It represents my late mother and the bond we shared. After losing her, I went through a very difficult period, and music became one of the ways I could process that pain and keep her memory alive.
I didn’t plan to make LULU as a tribute from the beginning. It happened naturally as I was creating, and I realised that the emotions I was carrying were becoming part of the music. That’s when I decided to turn those memories into something lasting. Every track carries a piece of that journey, so for me, LULU is both a tribute to my mother and a personal healing process.

Listening to the project, there is a strong feeling of reflection and emotion. Was making LULU part of your own way of processing grief and healing?

Eish bro, absolutely. Making LULU was a major part of my journey through grief and healing. Losing my mother left a space in my life that words couldn’t really explain, so I found myself expressing those emotions through music. Every melody, chord, and atmosphere became a way of processing what I was feeling.

I wasn’t necessarily trying to make people understand my pain; I was trying to understand it myself. LULU gave me a safe space to remember her, reflect on our memories, and slowly make peace with the loss. In many ways, creating the album helped me turn something painful into something beautiful that will keep her memory alive.

Tracks such as “Your Voice in My Heart” and “Watching Over Me” carry a strong sense of longing. Is there a particular song on the project that was the most difficult for you to create? Why?

Both “Your Voice in My Heart” and “Watching Over Me” were difficult in different ways. “Your Voice in My Heart” brought back a lot of memories of my mother, her voice, her presence, and the moments we shared. It was emotionally heavy because I was trying to capture that feeling of missing someone you know you can never hear or see again.

“Watching Over Me” was difficult because it made me think about her absence, but also about the feeling that she is still somewhere watching over me and guiding me. There’s a sense of pain, but also comfort in that song, as you can hear the guitars on it 😅

Creating both tracks allowed me to express emotions that I couldn’t always put into words.


You managed to create something emotionally personal while still making music that can live on the dance floor. How do you balance storytelling and groove in your production?

Uhm, for me, Bro, storytelling and groove naturally go hand in hand. I believe you can tell a deep and emotional story without taking away from the energy of the dance floor. I usually start with the emotion or message I want to communicate, then build the rhythm, bassline, and melodies around that feeling.

With LULU, I wanted the music to carry emotion but still have movement. The groove gives people a reason to connect physically, while the melodies and atmosphere allow them to connect emotionally. That balance is very important to me; music should make you feel something, but it should also make you want to move.

As a producer from East London, how important is it for you to represent where you come from through your music, even when your sound is rooted in electronic music?

Eish, tough question; all I can say is it’s extremely important to me. East London is part of who I am, and everything I’ve experienced here has shaped me as an artist. Even though my sound is rooted in electronic music, I carry the energy, culture, stories and spirit of where I come from into my production.

I want people to hear my music and know that it comes from East London, from the Eastern Cape, but at the same time, I want the sound to travel beyond my hometown and reach people across South Africa and internationally. For me, representing where I come from is about showing that great electronic music can come from anywhere. I’m proud to carry East London with me wherever the music takes me.

You've worked across production and remixing. Is there an artist or producer you'd love to collaborate with in the future, and what would you hope to create together?



There are definitely a few artists I would love to collaborate with, but one of the producers I really admire is Da Capo. I love his ability to create music that feels soulful, emotional, and deeply rooted in African sounds while still having a strong electronic identity.

I would love to create something with him that blends my Afro Tech and Deep House approach with his signature sound- something melodic, atmospheric, and soulful, but still powerful enough for the dance floor. I think the combination could create something really special and timeless.

What has been the biggest lesson you've learned so far from being an independent DJ, producer, and remixer?




Eish bro, all i can say is that the biggest lesson I’ve learned is that you have to believe in yourself, even when nobody else sees the vision yet. Being an independent artist teaches you patience, discipline, and resilience because you have to wear many hats; you’re not only creating music but also promoting yourself, building relationships, and finding opportunities.
I’ve also learned that success doesn’t happen overnight. There have been many challenges and moments where I questioned myself, but I kept creating and pushing forward. Every setback has taught me something, and I’ve realised that consistency and staying true to your sound are more important than trying to follow every trend.


What's next for KingFlava SA? Are you working on another project, collaborations, performances or a new sound that listeners should be looking out for?


For now, I’m focused on a few exciting collaborations. I’m working on a project with Mr Jack and Martin Mind. Mr Jack is a close friend of mine from SA but he  is based in Germany, and Martin Mind is also based there, so it’s really special to connect across borders and create something together.

I’m also working on a project with my brother Jaysoulix, who is one of the talented producers from my hometown. We’re creating something that represents our different styles while keeping that strong local identity.

And of course, there are still plans in the works with my brother Da Capo. We’re hoping to make something special together, so there’s definitely a lot to look forward to from KingFlava SA.


And with that, we come to the end of our conversation with KingFlava SA.

From his journey as a DJ, producer and remixer to the deeply personal story behind LULU, it’s clear that his music is about more than simply creating a sound for the dancefloor. It is about emotion, memories, storytelling and turning personal experiences into something that can connect with other people.


As an artist from East London, KingFlava SA continues to carve out his own space within the electronic music scene, blending different sounds while keeping emotion at the heart of his work.

We would like to thank KingFlava SA for taking the time to speak with East Side Insider and for allowing us to learn more about the person and story behind the music. We’re excited to see where his journey takes him from here. 🔥


Follow and support KingFlava SA:

📸 Instagram: @kingflava_sa


Go stream his music, discover LULU, and keep an eye on what he has coming next. 🎶

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC43j5BYzd7NprypVeII-qQQ 

East Side Insider shining a light on the talent, stories and voices coming out of our side of the world. 🚨


Until the next edition. ✌🏾


Post a Comment

0 Comments